[Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 09:02:46 -0700
Folks,

I realize this is like bringing up 'best oil' or 'best tires' on a car
list, but I'm in the market for a battery drill/driver/sander/etc. combo
to replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-drill.  I
want something with all the 'goodies;' I'll need the usual driver/drill,
but also need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least the
option for more attachments.

I know I probably can't lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even
Craftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in China
for all I know--but would like to see if there's a consensus on best
overall.  Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for some
reason than 19.2V, etc.?    My main issue, and the reason I haven't
retired the old Makita yet, is that the batteries always seem to lose
capacity over time.  The 9V Makita is nickel-metal-hydride, and both the
OEM--which are too expensive IMO--and cheap, off-brand aftermarket ones
all lose charge when not used, and lose capacity after repeated
charging.  I know Li-Ion is better, but a battery is a battery, and they
all will lose some capacity over time.

Any and all opinions, rants, etc. welcome.

Bob