Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Tom & Marge FitzGibbon <fitzgibbon3@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:10:45 +0000 (UTC)

higher the voltage the better the performance and the newer LIthium batteri=
es are a great improvement over NiCad. They lose a charge much more slowly =
sitting on a shelf, although I have found they are also affected by tempera=
ture so lose a charge in an unheated garage in the winter much faster than =
in a heated garage. My other observation is stick with one brand so you hav=
e one charger if you can. I did not do that and it is a PITA managing the d=
ifferent batteries and chargers. <br><br>I've been a long time fan of DeWal=
t and Porter Cable, but I recently bought a Makita and am very impressed. I=
've had several of their corded tools over the years but was unimpressed by=
 earlier generations of their battery operated tools. Their current tools h=
o <br>to replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-drill. &nb=
sp;I <br>want something with all the 'goodies;' I'll need the usual driver/=
drill, <br>but also need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least=
ith DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even <br>Craftsman--hell, they might all c=
ome out of the same factory in China <br>for all I know--but would like to =
see if there's a consensus on best <br>overall. &nbsp;Is more voltage alway=
s better, or is 14.4V better for some <br>reason than 19.2V, etc.? &nbsp; &=
nbsp;My main issue, and the reason I haven't <br>retired the old Makita yet=
, is that the batteries always seem to lose <br>capacity over time. &nbsp;T=
he 9V Makita is nickel-metal-hydride, and both the <br>OEM--which are too e=
xpensive IMO--and cheap, off-brand aftermarket ones <br>all lose charge whe=
n not used, and lose capacity after repeated <br>charging. &nbsp;I know Li-=
Ion is better, but a battery is a battery, and they <br>all will lose some =
utox.team.net<br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annua=
l donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: =