Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Paul Parkanzky <Paul@Parkanzky.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 18:02:41 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--047d7bdc0f226cb6000530147852

I have Bosch 18v Li-Ion impact driver and hammer drills and I absolutely
love them.  The charge seems to last forever.  The impact driver is the
higher-torque model, with something like 125 lb-ft. of torque, which is
usually enough to do wheel swaps.  I can't say enough great stuff about
them.

-Paul

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I realize this is like bringing up 'best oil' or 'best tires' on a car
> list, but I'm in the market for a battery drill/driver/sander/etc. combo to
> replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-drill.  I want
> something with all the 'goodies;' I'll need the usual driver/drill, but
> also need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least the option for
> more attachments.
>
> I know I probably can't lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even
> Craftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in China for
> all I know--but would like to see if there's a consensus on best overall.
> Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for some reason than
> 19.2V, etc.?    My main issue, and the reason I haven't retired the old
> Makita yet, is that the batteries always seem to lose capacity over time.
> The 9V Makita is nickel-metal-hydride, and both the OEM--which are too
> expensive IMO--and cheap, off-brand aftermarket ones all lose charge when
> not used, and lose capacity after repeated charging.  I know Li-Ion is
> better, but a battery is a battery, and they all will lose some capacity
> over time.
>
> Any and all opinions, rants, etc. welcome.
>
> Bob

--047d7bdc0f226cb6000530147852

d I absolutely love them.=C2=A0 The charge seems to last forever.=C2=A0 The=
 impact driver is the higher-torque model, with something like 125 lb-ft. o=
f torque, which is usually enough to do wheel swaps.=C2=A0 I can&#39;t say =
ail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:02 PM, =
Bob Spidell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; t=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex">Folks,<br>
I realize this is like bringing up &#39;best oil&#39; or &#39;best tires&#3=
9; on a car list, but I&#39;m in the market for a battery drill/driver/sand=
er/etc. combo to replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-dr=
ill.=C2=A0 I want something with all the &#39;goodies;&#39; I&#39;ll need t=
he usual driver/drill, but also need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), =
and at least the option for more attachments.<br>
I know I probably can&#39;t lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even Cra=
ftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in China for all =
I know--but would like to see if there&#39;s a consensus on best overall.=
=C2=A0 Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for some reason th=
an 19.2V, etc.?=C2=A0 =C2=A0 My main issue, and the reason I haven&#39;t re=
tired the old Makita yet, is that the batteries always seem to lose capacit=
y over time.=C2=A0 The 9V Makita is nickel-metal-hydride, and both the OEM-=
-which are too expensive IMO--and cheap, off-brand aftermarket ones all los=
e charge when not used, and lose capacity after repeated charging.=C2=A0 I =
know Li-Ion is better, but a battery is a battery, and they all will lose s=
ome capacity over time.<br>
Any and all opinions, rants, etc. welcome.<br>

--047d7bdc0f226cb6000530147852--

--===============2199859120918909568==

--===============2199859120918909568==--