Re: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:42:25 -0700
> I have battled this several times and have come to the conclusion that
> there is no adequate substitute for pulling out the headliner and
> recovering.

Yeah, either the glue fails or the backing deteriorates with the glue.
In either case, you've got little crumbs of stuff rattling around in there.

The answer depends on the acceptable level of ghetto.

The only way you're going to get it to look 'right', if that matters, is
to remove it from the car and redo the whole thing.  That means removing
all the fabric, cleaning off all the crumbly stuff, you may need new
fabric, etc.

Neighbor had one done locally (SF Peninsula) for I think $125 a few
months back.

Bear in mind that body style (wagons/hatchbacks easy, many sedans/coupes
will require removing the rear window) and features (how is it
finished/retained around the sunroof opening, how many roof-mounted
lights/vents/video displays/etc. are there) will drive the R&R difficulty.

If what you're looking for is 'keep this thing off my hair until I can
scrap the car' I've seen a car where the owner slit the headliner across
the car and cleaned out enough cruft to get some glue up there that
seemed to hold well enough and I've seen one car where the owner went at
it with some heavy fishing line and one of those long curved
turkey-sewing needles.  Both were functional, neither was an aesthetic
success.

Nothing you can just push in from the bottom will hold, it'll just pull
out of the fiber backing.  Maybe one of those big plastic threaded
drywall-screw inserts if you cut off the projecting tip and start a
hole...but I'd guess trying to put a screw in it will strip it out of
the backing in a hurry.

John.