Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or do you let them do it?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:32:25 -0700

--------------CE89AA360C3F519FD3670E57

Hope your neighbors aren't like this man's:

https://jalopnik.com/judge-shuts-down-neighbors-lawsuit-so-man-can-keep-his-1788593106

On 9/20/2018 11:59 AM, Benjamin Zwissler wrote:
> I've considered charging, or putting up a "donations" box, but so far
> everyone has been pretty good about buying replacements parts,
> supplies, beer, etc. so I haven't felt the need.
>
> Ben....
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com
>
>     Iâ??ve done it all the ways listed. Iâ??ve always had broken tools
>     replaced by the vehicle owner. If they use my parts, they pay me
>     for them if they break them or not.
>
>     You didnâ??t specify if you were charging for your shop. That can
>     make a difference.
>
>     Peace,
>     Pat
>
>     Pat Horne
>     We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity
>

>     On Sep 20, 2018, at 9:38 AM, eric@megageek.com
>
>     I just wanted to start a little conversation about a question that
>     bothers me (albeit very little.)
>     When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the
>     work or do you let them do it?
>
>     Here is the context, due to my garage, everyone I offer to help
>     brings their vehicles to me to fix.  Once there, I do the work for
>     the most part.  I enjoy doing it, so it's no big deal.
>
>     But a few people commented that they expected to do most if not
>     all the work once there.
>
>     I understand that they may enjoy working on the cars as well, but
>     here is my thought about it...
>
>     One, since it's my garage, I know where every tools, part, etc is
>     located.  I know what I have and don't have.  When doing the work,
>     I know what equipment I have will work the best for the situation.
>     Also, I also know where to put everything back when I'm done.
>
>     This is the fastest and most effective way to do the work in my
>     opinion.
>
>     I realize that this takes away their ability to learn through
>     first hand experience, but I do include them in the work when
>     possible.
>
>     So, what is the proper way to handle this?  Is it a "home rule"
>     thing, or a should I step aside and let them do all the work?
>
>     One more thing, if they are doing the work and break something on
>     their car that requires a trip to the auto parts store, I now have
>     to drive them there (this I don't like.)  At least if I break it,
>     I don't mind the trip as much.
>
>     What's your take?

--------------CE89AA360C3F519FD3670E57

  <head>
  </head>
href="https://jalopnik.com/judge-shuts-down-neighbors-lawsuit-so-man-can-keep-his-1788593106";>https://jalopnik.com/judge-shuts-down-neighbors-lawsuit-so-man-can-keep-his-1788593106</a><br>
      Zwissler wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAMHq6ZyVbbY2BL+xtfKQT1wXVm2jkE+Rzk2rydVSbHOvknuKYA@mail.gmail.com">
        "donations" box, but so far everyone has been pretty good about
        buying replacements parts, supplies, beer, etc. so I haven't
        felt the need.
            href="mailto:patintexas@icloud.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">patintexas@icloud.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            had broken tools replaced by the vehicle owner. If they use
            my parts, they pay me for them if they break them or not.
              That can make a difference.
                  Horne
                  On Sep 20, 2018, at 9:38 AM, <a
                    href="mailto:eric@megageek.com"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:<br>
                    start a little conversation
                    about a question that bothers me (albeit very
                    little.)</font>
                    their vehicle to
                    your garage, do you do the work or do you let them
                    do it?</font>
                    due to my garage,
                    everyone I offer to help brings their vehicles to me
                    to fix.  Once
                    there, I do the work for the most part.  I enjoy
                    doing it, so it's
                    no big deal.</font>
                    commented that they
                    expected to do most if not all the work once there.</font>
                    they may enjoy working
                    on the cars as well, but here is my thought about
                    it...</font>
                    garage, I know where
                    every tools, part, etc is located.  I know what I
                    have and don't have.
                     When doing the work, I know what equipment I have
                    will work the best
                    for the situation.</font>
                    where to put everything
                    back when I'm done.</font>
                    and most effective
                    way to do the work in my opinion. </font>
                    takes away their
                    ability to learn through first hand experience, but
                    I do include them in
                    the work when possible.</font>
                    proper way to handle
                    this?  Is it a "home rule" thing, or a should I step
                    aside
                    and let them do all the work?</font>
                    they are doing the
                    work and break something on their car that requires
                    a trip to the auto
                    parts store, I now have to drive them there (this I
                    don't like.)  At
                    least if I break it, I don't mind the trip as much.</font>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>

--------------CE89AA360C3F519FD3670E57--

--===============0391935334581622176==