Re: [Shop-talk] annoying calls

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] annoying calls
From: Mike Rambour via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 11:55:59 -0700

--------------CEB524B811E00710DD8DC546

  I have a iPhone, I am sure Androids have the same setup.

  I put my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, it was supposed to be something you
set up so your phone does not ring in the middle of the night but I have
it on 24 hours a day, it is set so anyone in my contact list can get
through but all other calls are sent off to voice mail.  I do have to
remember to turn it off sometimes if I am expecting a call from someone
not in my contact list, but my contact list now has over 300 people in it.
     mike

On 3/25/2019 10:38 AM, Jim Stone via Shop-talk wrote:
> Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list, which once worked very well, has
> now become almost worthless because scammers have figured out that
> that their chances of being caught are slim and the fines assessed are
> far less than the profits from running a successful scam.  If you cell
> carrier is AT&T, you can try downloading their Call Protect app.  It
> isnâ??t perfect, but it helps. Other carriers may have something
> similar.  Your cellphone should also allow you to block call from the
> spoof number, although that would also block any legitimate calls from
> BOA.  Personally, I set up a contact group list on my mobile called
> â??Ignore this Callâ?? and add numbers to it anytime I get a telemarketing
> call; being able to actively ignore them gives me more satisfaction
> than not allowing them to connect.  It is childish, but I still do it.
>
> One other thing, just FWIW.  I didnâ??t change my cell number when I
> moved from St. Louis to New York, so it is still Area Code 314.  That
> turns out to be a very good thing, as most spoof calls come in with
> that area code (and, more often than not, the same exchange as my
> phone).  I now ignore any calls from 314 that are not in my contact
> list and have yet to miss a real call.  You can have any area code you
> want on a cell phone.  Changing your number is a drastic step, but I
> would definitely get an out-of-state number, should I ever need a new one.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jim
>

>> On Mar 25, 2019, at 12:29 PM, john niolon via Shop-talk
>>
>> for some time Iâ??ve been getting calls on cells phones and home phone
>> offering me â??lower credit card ratesâ?? and have a limited time to
>> reply... when I press â??1â?? to speak to an associate, I get a foreign
>> being speaking almost english and when I tell him to stop calling
>> they hang up..these calls are two to three times a week and sometimes
>> twice a day.  Today I called their 800 number and got bank of
>> america.  After three failed attempts and a call back I finally spoke
>> to a person and she told me it was a scam and they mask their number
>> and it shows BoAs 800 number. She said there was nothing they could
>> do... but put me on BoAs do not call list but offered no
>> incouragement that that would stop the calls
>> Is there anywhere I can take this to get it resolved...  I canâ??t seem
>> to block the number on my home phone since it[s a 800 number and
>> havenâ??t found a way on the cells yet...   come on phone/tech/gurus...
>> little help here
>> thanks
>> John

A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

--------------CEB524B811E00710DD8DC546

  <head>
  </head>
      have the same setup.</div>
      was supposed to be something you set up so your phone does not
      ring in the middle of the night but I have it on 24 hours a day,
      it is set so anyone in my contact list can get through but all
      other calls are sent off to voice mail.  I do have to remember to
      turn it off sometimes if I am expecting a call from someone not in
      my contact list, but my contact list now has over 300 people in
      it.</div>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:0293BC9B-927A-4281-A167-319FD225D371@gmail.com">
      Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list, which once worked very well,
      has now become almost worthless because scammers have figured out
      that that their chances of being caught are slim and the fines
      assessed are far less than the profits from running a successful
      scam.  If you cell carrier is AT&amp;T, you can try downloading
[...]
        get an out-of-state number, should I ever need a new one.</div>
              Shop-talk &lt;<a href="mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";
                class="" moz-do-not-send="true">shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:</div>
                    class="">
                      on cells phones and home phone offering me â??lower
                      credit card ratesâ?? and have a limited time to
                      reply... when I press â??1â?? to speak to an
                      associate, I get a foreign being speaking almost
                      english and when I tell him to stop calling they
                      hang up..these calls are two to three times a week
                      and sometimes twice a day.  Today I called their
                      800 number and got bank of america.  After three
                      failed attempts and a call back I finally spoke to
                      a person and she told me it was a scam and they
                      mask their number and it shows BoAs 800 number.
                      She said there was nothing they could do... but
                      put me on BoAs do not call list but offered no
                      incouragement that that would stop the calls</div>
                      get it resolved...  I canâ??t seem to block the
                      number on my home phone since it[s a 800 number
                      and havenâ??t found a way on the cells yet...   come
                      on phone/tech/gurus... little help here</div>
              _______________________________________________<br
                class="">
                moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br
                class="">
              Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
class="">
              Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br class="">
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br
                class="">
              Unsubscribe/Manage:
              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/1789alpine@gmail.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/1789alpine@gmail.com</a><br
                class="">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.</pre>

--------------CEB524B811E00710DD8DC546--

--===============8739484366853848240==

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============8739484366853848240==--