Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless drill/screw driver

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless drill/screw driver
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 09:41:33 -0800

--------------D7110CC86AC29C199EC23932

My DeWalt 1/2" impact wrench has to work at it, but it'll spin the
lugnuts off my Mustang wheels (torque spec for the nuts is 150lb-ft).

On 1/11/2021 9:20 AM, Karl Vacek wrote:
> [...]
> driver, three 5AH Red Lithium batteries, and a charger.  $450.
>
> I felt bad about spending the money, but after installing a floor in
> the attic, rebuilding a wall downstairs, running loads of screws, and
> then taking the impact out to work on the cars and snowblowers a few
> times, I wish I'd bought this years ago.
>
> Battery life is incredible.  Hours of work and I've only recharged
> batteries once, when I got down to 2 bars, and I still haven't even
> opened the third battery.
>
> Power is incredible.  The impact won't take off lug nuts, but then I
> haven't actually tried.  I'm sure (once I buy one) the 1/2" will beat
> the pants off my disappointing HF Earthquake 1/2" impact.
>
> Close to a religious experience. Highly recommended.
>
> On January 11, 2021 10:45:30 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Others have said it, but I'll reiterate: Pick a battery/voltage, then
>> acquire the tools that go with it. If you get a cordless drill,
>> eventually you'll want a cordless impact 'wrench'--for lug nuts if
>> nothing else--a 'sawzall'  (equivalent), a circular saw, etc. Buy a
>> combo kit, with a battery and charger included, to start.
>>
>> I went with DeWalt 20V 'XR' brushless, because of mostly positive
>> reviews and, whether it's merit or good product placement by the
>> marketeers (probably both), they seem to be the most popular among
>> the mechanics, farmers, etc. on the quasi-reality TV shows (Stihl
>> gets the nod for gas chainsaws, with Husqvarna second). I bought a
>> cordless DeWalt hedger, slightly discounted because it was a display
>> model, thinking "Sure, it'll do a couple bushes then quit," but we
>> did my mom's whole (large) backyard on a single 4Ah battery. The tool
>> that drains the battery fastest is my 4&1/2" angle
>> grinder/sander/wirebrusher, probably because it runs more
>> continuously and has an 'open circuit' load; I get about 20mins on a
>> 4Ah battery.
>>
>> I have a full complement of pneumatic and corded electric tools--many
>> are Harbor Freight, for occasional use--that are mostly collecting
>> dust these days; it's just not worth unraveling an extension cord or
>> firing up the compressor for a quick, one-off job . One of my faves
>> is an old Makita 9V driver/drill, which can't hold a candle for power
>> to the DeWalt--and replacement Chinese batteries are hit-or-miss--but
>> it keeps soldiering-on. Makita stuff is top-notch, but I haven't seen
>> the variety of tools--doesn't mean they don't have them--that DeWalt,
>> Milwaukee, etc. have on display.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On 1/11/2021 5:38 AM, Tim . wrote:
>>> I didn't say I was going to spend 320. I said "if necessary".
>>>
>>> I already have a mitre saw. In fact, I have a full shop including
>>> 80-gallon compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer, panel beating
>>> tools, and a boat load of hand tools.
>>>
>>> I simply want the best cordless drill/screw driver out there. My
>>> experience with ryobi is that they don't hold up to even how much I

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    My DeWalt 1/2" impact wrench has to work at it, but it'll spin the
    lugnuts off my Mustang wheels (torque spec for the nuts is
    150lb-ft).<br>
      cite="mid:176f276d9e0.28bf.cd27845553c78383775132770b7455be@gmail.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;
}</style>
          decent cordless drill/driver.  I opted for a 14.4 volt DeWalt
          over their much heavier 18 volt.  Built my hangar, did loads
          of remodeling, on and on.  Battery life was ok till the NiCad
          haunts set in, and after one replacement set of DeWalt
          originals I switched to Amazon or eBay NiMH knockoff packs and
          had great luck.</div>
          remodeling, and after watching various subcontractors I just
          had to have a 1/4" impact driver and a hammer drill.  Old
          loyalty to DeWalt was strong, but I eventually spent a touch
          more for Milwaukee Fuel.  Before Christmas I got a combination
          kit with the best hammer drill and best impact driver, three
          5AH Red Lithium batteries, and a charger.  $450.</div>
          installing a floor in the attic, rebuilding a wall downstairs,
          running loads of screws, and then taking the impact out to
          work on the cars and snowblowers a few times, I wish I'd
          bought this years ago.</div>
          I've only recharged batteries once, when I got down to 2 bars,
          and I still haven't even opened the third battery.</div>
          lug nuts, but then I haven't actually tried.  I'm sure (once I
          buy one) the 1/2" will beat the pants off my disappointing HF
          Earthquake 1/2" impact.</div>
          recommended. </div>
          <!-- body start -->
                sans-serif; margin: 8pt 0;">On January 11, 2021 10:45:30
                AM Bob Spidell <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>&lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:</p>
                0 0 0 0.75ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080;
                padding-left: 0.75ex;"> Others have said it, but I'll
                reiterate: Pick a battery/voltage, then acquire the
                tools that go with it. If you get a cordless drill,
                eventually you'll want a cordless impact 'wrench'--for
                lug nuts if nothing else--a 'sawzall'  (equivalent), a
                circular saw, etc. Buy a combo kit, with a battery and
                charger included, to start.<br>
                I went with DeWalt 20V 'XR' brushless, because of mostly
                positive reviews and, whether it's merit or good product
                placement by the marketeers (probably both), they seem
                to be the most popular among the mechanics, farmers,
                etc. on the quasi-reality TV shows (Stihl gets the nod
                for gas chainsaws, with Husqvarna second). I bought a
                cordless DeWalt hedger, slightly discounted because it
                was a display model, thinking "Sure, it'll do a couple
                bushes then quit," but we did my mom's whole (large)
                backyard on a single 4Ah battery. The tool that drains
                the battery fastest is my 4&amp;1/2" angle
                grinder/sander/wirebrusher, probably because it runs
                more continuously and has an 'open circuit' load; I get
                about 20mins on a 4Ah battery.<br>
                I have a full complement of pneumatic and corded
                electric tools--many are Harbor Freight, for occasional
                use--that are mostly collecting dust these days; it's
                just not worth unraveling an extension cord or firing up
                the compressor for a quick, one-off job . One of my
                faves is an old Makita 9V driver/drill, which can't hold
                a candle for power to the DeWalt--and replacement
                Chinese batteries are hit-or-miss--but it keeps
                soldiering-on. Makita stuff is top-notch, but I haven't
                seen the variety of tools--doesn't mean they don't have
                them--that DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc. have on display.<br>
                Bob<br>
                  wrote:<br>
cite="mid:DS7PR19MB462953CC6861370FB060BC70B4AB0@DS7PR19MB4629.namprd19.prod.outlook.com">
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    I didn't say I was going to spend 320. I said "if
                    necessary". </div>
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    I already have a mitre saw. In fact, I have a full
                    shop including 80-gallon compressor, blast cabinet,
                    parts washer, panel beating tools, and a boat load
                    of hand tools. </div>
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    I simply want the best cordless drill/screw driver
                    out there. My experience with ryobi is that they
                    don't hold up to even how much I use them. </div>
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
                    tim</div>
                      style="font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;
                      font-size:12pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)"> <br>
                    <hr tabindex="-1" style="display:inline-block;
                      width:98%">
                        style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color:
                        #000000;"><b>From:</b> John T. Blair <a
                          class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                          href="mailto:jblair1948@cox.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;jblair1948@cox.net&gt;</a><br>
                        <b>To:</b> Tim . <a
                          class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                          href="mailto:tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com&gt;</a><br>
                        <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless
                        drill/screw driver</span>
                        1/10/2021, Tim wrote:<br>
                        &gt;I have a $100 menards rebate check and a $60
                        rebate visa card that are both <br>
                        &gt;burning a hole in my pocket. Also, I have
                        the 15% "anything you can fit in the <br>
                        &gt;bag" sale bag. I figure $160 is a good
                        starting point and am willing to at least <br>
                        &gt;match that 160 or more if necessary to get
                        the best out there right now. <br>
                        ......<br>
                        &gt;I am not worried about a little heavier than
                        most as I am not contractor and this <br>
                        &gt;won't get used every day. I am just getting
                        tired of dragging cords. I'd like <br>
                        &gt;whatever I get to be the start of going all
                        cordless (skill saw, Sawzall, etc).<br>
                        Tim,<br>
                        If you are not going to be using it every day,
                        why do you want to spend a ton of<br>
                        money on a cordless drill.  You say you have
                        $160 burning a hole in your pocket<br>
                        and are willing to put another $160 to that.
                        Man that $320!!!!  You can get a <br>
                        Roybi or such for say $100.  Usually around Xmas
                        which you just missed, you can<br>
                        get a Roybi kit with a drill, saw, and another
                        tool for less than $150.  That's where<br>
                        I'd put the first $160.  Then I'd look at
                        something else like a sliding compound <br>
                        miter saw, or a nail gun or two, or some other
                        tools.<br>
                        Now that being said, let me say I buy a lot of
                        Harbor Freight tools.  And for the<br>
                        occassional use they work well.  I have a $25
                        ish oscillating saw, which I've used <br>
                        for something over 5 yrs.  It just died in the
                        middle of a remodel in a bedroom.<br>
                        So I bought another.  Especially if you don't
                        know what you're going to use it for.<br>
                        I also have a cheap $20 H.F. recriprocating saw
                        that has paid for it's self.  If I'd<br>
                        have bought a $100 to $300 version of either of
                        these tools, I'd never had really<br>
                        gotten my money worth out of the tool.  I'm 72
                        and it's getting harder and harder<br>
                        every day for me to do a lot of the things I
                        used to do, like bend over. :)  So why<br>
                        should I pay for a tool that would last me for
                        the next 30 years or so, if I'm only<br>
                        going to be around for another 10 years?<br>
                        Spend a little less money on a tool, and get
                        more of them.  Especially if it not your<br>
                        bread and butter.<br>
                        John<br>
                         2<br>
                    href="mailto:Shop-talk%40autox.team.net";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a></div>
                    href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></div>
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";