Re: [Shop-talk] More compressor questions

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] More compressor questions
From: Arvid <arvidj999@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:37:51 -0500

--------------A19C789870EC4AD7D2C791DF

Agree with the "as low an RPM as possible". When I bought mine they offered a
muffler\silencer for the intake. Google and YouTube offer a lot of suggestions
for DIY silencers. I highly recommend anything on the intake along with the the
standard filter.

On 8/11/21 9:15 AM, David Scheidt wrote:

>     Hi John,
>
>     The oil-less compressors probably are good enough for casual use, but the
> ones that I have been around were noisy, probably because they tend to have
> aluminum blocks and that they tend to spin at higher RPM than the larger,
> heavier cast iron oil-type compressors.
>

> There are two kinds of oil less compressor.  The really loud ones, and the
> really quiet ones.  the really loud ones are cheap, which is their only real
> redeeming feature (they have no oil in the air, which matters for some
> applications, too.).  They have been around a long time, and basically, they
> suck.  But they're cheap, so, they sell.
>
> the quiet ones are not cheap, although prices have come down.  The best
> known variety are sold by California Air Tools (they're made in china, don't
> be fooled by the name.), but lots of people offer similar (or identical)
> compressors these days.  For a given set of specs, they're much of a
> muchness, and you'd do well to buy based on price, warranty, ease of
> purchase, color, or whatever.
> They reduce noise by having big pistons running at relatively low speed, and
> by having lots of plastic and teflon parts.  They're not going to last
> forever, probably a 1000 hours of pump operation.  I've got a little one,
> with a 2 gallon tank, which I expect will last me years (it's used to air up
> bike tires, dust off parts from time to time, and run a couple trim
> nailers.).  On a job site, it'd be dead in a year, but it's likely to get
> dropped, stolen, run over by a forklift, or otherwise killed first, so the
> pump life span isn't a big a limitaion as it might seem.
>
> If you're running shop tools using loads of air, like sand blasters, etc, you
> want an old fashioned oil lubricated pump, rotating as low an RPM as
> possible.  If you have lower volume air needs, the quiet compressors are
> tempting.

--------------A19C789870EC4AD7D2C791DF

  <head>
  </head>
      they offered a muffler\silencer for the intake. Google and YouTube
      offer a lot of suggestions for DIY silencers. I highly recommend
      anything on the intake along with the the standard filter.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CA+k5suqQXH8Us+XUfFXSzBpDyGDLby7EE2ebXq6pqEEeQnGrdA@mail.gmail.com">
            PM old dirtbeard &lt;<a href="mailto:dirtbeard@gmail.com";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">dirtbeard@gmail.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                casual use, but the ones that I have been around were
                noisy, probably because they tend to have aluminum
                blocks and that they tend to spin at higher RPM than the
                larger, heavier cast iron oil-type compressors.</div>
          really loud ones, and the really quiet ones.  the really loud
          ones are cheap, which is their only real redeeming feature
          (they have no oil in the air, which matters for some
          applications, too.).  They have been around a long time, and
          basically, they suck.  But they're cheap, so, they sell.</div>
          down.  The best known variety are sold by California Air Tools
          (they're made in china, don't be fooled by the name.), but
          lots of people offer similar (or identical) compressors these
          days.  For a given set of specs, they're much of a muchness,
          and you'd do well to buy based on price, warranty, ease of
          purchase, color, or whatever.  <br>
          relatively low speed, and by having lots of plastic and teflon
          parts.  They're not going to last forever, probably a 1000
          hours of pump operation.  I've got a little one, with a 2
          gallon tank, which I expect will last me years (it's used to
          air up bike tires, dust off parts from time to time, and run a
          couple trim nailers.).  On a job site, it'd be dead in a year,
          but it's likely to get dropped, stolen, run over by a
          forklift, or otherwise killed first, so the pump life span
          isn't a big a limitaion as it might seem.  <br>
          blasters, etc, you want an old fashioned oil lubricated pump,
          rotating as low an RPM as possible.  If you have lower volume
          air needs, the quiet compressors are tempting.  <br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
              rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
id="gmail-m_-962144170275894706gmail-m_7323182185980991174gmail-m_-911417382658544781DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">
                    none">
                    <tbody>
                          0px 8px"><br>
                    </tbody>