Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory

To: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:13:29 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--------------O10Diqnqns4x2zQInivco8fA

A quick glance doesn't show how they're mounted; anyone know? Seems like
you'd still want a fixture to reflect light.

On 1/10/2022 1:42 PM, Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> If I were doing this, I would pretty much just throw away the existing
> stuff and put up these:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
>
> I have a shop that was built around 7 years ago and stuff like this
> wasn't available at this cost, so I went with 4 tube
> fluorescent fixtures.  They've been "fine", but when I redid our daily
> driver parking garage last year I used the Barrina lights.  Super
> easy, nice bright light, and pretty cheap. Absolutely no question
> that's what I'd do if I were redoing the shop / what I will do when
> the time comes when the existing fluorescents die.
>
> YMMV.
>
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>     Since I was already 'LED curious,' I did a bit of research:
>
>     - there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type A')
>     - there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the ballast
>     ('Type B')
>     - there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or
>     without/bypassing, with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')
>

>     If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh'
>     ballasts--they all fail, eventually--you can plug and play the
>     'A+B' type with a ballast then, when the ballast fails you can
>     bypass it, which requires some rewiring (apparently, you can leave
>     the dead ballast in place).
>

>     * Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.
>

>     On 1/10/2022 10:48 AM, Ian McFetridge wrote:
>>     I used the Feit replacement LED tubes, it sounds like they are
>>     similar.  Here are the instructions for the Feit, maybe that will
>>     help?
>>
>> https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf
>>
>>     Best,
>>     Ian
>>
>>     On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:12 PM john niolon <jniolon@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>         Couple of years ago I bought a box of Utilitech
>>         t81636f16-40...4' led tubes...redid all my shop lights and
>>         was pleased with them
>>         now I want to add some fixtures in another part of shop and
>>         my memory has failed... I know I had to rewire fixtures to
>>         make them work
>>         but can remember what I did and instruction sheet is long
>>         gone or lost...
>>         Utilititech was a Lowes brand and now discontinued and
>>         Utilitech web site is a joke    anyone tell me how to wire
>>         these bulbs up either with or
>>         without ballast..,....seems I remember they were non shunted
>>         bulbs...but now sure
>>         thanks
>>         john

--------------O10Diqnqns4x2zQInivco8fA

  <head>
  </head>
    A quick glance doesn't show how they're mounted; anyone know? Seems
    like you'd still want a fixture to reflect light.<br>
cite="mid:CAAoSWGO+EEM2U9ERJPUZ3DxCdh2wbgfu-Ey1GRsnMJLGPjLCvQ@mail.gmail.com">
        If I were doing this, I would pretty much just throw away the
        existing stuff and put up these:<br>
        <a
href="https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa";
          moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa</a><br>
        I have a shop that was built around 7 years ago and stuff like
        this wasn't available at this cost, so I went with 4 tube
        fluorescent fixtures.  They've been "fine", but when I redid our
        daily driver parking garage last year I used the Barrina
        lights.  Super easy, nice bright light, and pretty cheap.
        Absolutely no question that's what I'd do if I were redoing the
        shop / what I will do when the time comes when the existing
        fluorescents die.<br>
        YMMV.<br>
        Mark</div>
          PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            research:<br>
            - there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type
            A')<br>
            - there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the
            ballast ('Type B')<br>
            - there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or
            without/bypassing, with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')<br>
            If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh'
            ballasts--they all fail, eventually--you can plug and play
            the 'A+B' type with a ballast then, when the ballast fails
            you can bypass it, which requires some rewiring (apparently,
            you can leave the dead ballast in place). <br>
            * Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.<br>
                sounds like they are similar.  Here are the instructions
                for the Feit, maybe that will help?<br>
                <a
href="https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf";
                  target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf</a><br>
                  at 12:12 PM john niolon &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:jniolon@att.net"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">jniolon@att.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                        bought a box of Utilitech t81636f16-40...4' led
                        tubes...redid all my shop lights and was pleased
                        with them</font></div>
                        fixtures in another part of shop and my memory
                        has failed... I know I had to rewire fixtures to
                        make them work</font></div>
                        did and instruction sheet is long gone or
                        lost...</font></div>
                        brand and now discontinued and Utilitech web
                        site is a joke    anyone tell me how to wire
                        these bulbs up either with or</font></div>
                        ballast..,....seems I remember they were non
                        shunted bulbs...but now sure</font></div>

--------------O10Diqnqns4x2zQInivco8fA--

--===============5271781061062552767==

--===============5271781061062552767==--