Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led tubes and short memory
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:44:09 -0800
References: <1UbiNPPptR.bEjZkxgKlSg.ref@johns-desktop> <1UbiNPPptR.bEjZkxgKlSg@johns-desktop> <CAFnfnRWf8yPRXutUppJa9e-wfmF-KaSYfmrkHe_X-xqdeRwDvA@mail.gmail.com> <72c53909-c36d-e711-1532-edd5f353b96b@comcast.net> <CAAoSWGO+EEM2U9ERJPUZ3DxCdh2wbgfu-Ey1GRsnMJLGPjLCvQ@mail.gmail.com> <32ec4efd-b96e-a7c8-95de-4dcb4541f066@comcast.net> <CAAoSWGNzZZEbJ-wjtEj3CYHF5DN-3ov1MBKuCWc0FJw_=Ed+rg@mail.gmail.com> <CAG1pxgY60rTyO6eEuVmpq-FPgP=JYDum7=6yEjfLtu-qrNG7hA@mail.gmail.com>

--------------UA4ePoazLvaolEPVTwKF0fuE

I thought I had it figured out, but what's the difference in designation
between older tubes with 2 small prongs on one end, and the newer style
with one fat prong? It seems they're both called 'TX,' with 'X' being 8,
12, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8KCJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MC1FW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 1/11/2022 4:57 AM, old dirtbeard wrote:
> [...]
>     significantly more than these, I wouldn't bother.  I've been
>     nothing but impressed / happy with them.
>
>     Mark
>
>     On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
>     wrote:
>
>         A quick glance doesn't show how they're mounted; anyone know?
>         Seems like you'd still want a fixture to reflect light.
>

>         On 1/10/2022 1:42 PM, Mark Andy wrote:
>>         Howdy,
>>
>>         If I were doing this, I would pretty much just throw away the
>>         existing stuff and put up these:
>>

>> https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
>>
>>         I have a shop that was built around 7 years ago and stuff
>>         like this wasn't available at this cost, so I went with 4
>>         tube fluorescent fixtures.  They've been "fine", but when I
>>         redid our daily driver parking garage last year I used the
>>         Barrina lights.  Super easy, nice bright light, and pretty
>>         cheap. Absolutely no question that's what I'd do if I were
>>         redoing the shop / what I will do when the time comes when
>>         the existing fluorescents die.
>>
>>         YMMV.
>>
>>         Mark
>>
>>         On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Bob Spidell
>>         <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>             Since I was already 'LED curious,' I did a bit of research:
>>
>>             - there are some LED tubes that require a ballast* ('Type A')
>>             - there are some LED tubes that require bypassing of the
>>             ballast ('Type B')
>>             - there are some LED tubes that work with ballast or
>>             without/bypassing, with some rewiring* ('Type A+B')
>>

>>             If you want the least (initial) hassle, and have 'fresh'
>>             ballasts--they all fail, eventually--you can plug and
>>             play the 'A+B' type with a ballast then, when the ballast
>>             fails you can bypass it, which requires some rewiring
>>             (apparently, you can leave the dead ballast in place).
>>

>>             * Need to check compatibility between tube and ballast.
>>

>>             On 1/10/2022 10:48 AM, Ian McFetridge wrote:
>>>             I used the Feit replacement LED tubes, it sounds like
>>>             they are similar.  Here are the instructions for the
>>>             Feit, maybe that will help?
>>>
>>> https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf
>>>
>>>             Best,
>>>             Ian
>>>
>>>             On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:12 PM john niolon
>>>             <jniolon@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>                 Couple of years ago I bought a box of Utilitech
>>>                 t81636f16-40...4' led tubes...redid all my shop
>>>                 lights and was pleased with them
>>>                 now I want to add some fixtures in another part of
>>>                 shop and my memory has failed... I know I had to
>>>                 rewire fixtures to make them work
>>>                 but can remember what I did and instruction sheet is
>>>                 long gone or lost...
>>>                 Utilititech was a Lowes brand and now discontinued
>>>                 and Utilitech web site is a joke    anyone tell me
>>>                 how to wire these bulbs up either with or
>>>                 without ballast..,....seems I remember they were non

  <head>
  </head>
    I thought I had it figured out, but what's the difference in
    designation between older tubes with 2 small prongs on one end, and
    the newer style with one fat prong? It seems they're both called
    'TX,' with 'X' being 8, 12, etc.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8KCJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1";>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8KCJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</a><br>
    vs.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MC1FW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1";>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MC1FW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</a><br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAG1pxgY60rTyO6eEuVmpq-FPgP=JYDum7=6yEjfLtu-qrNG7hA@mail.gmail.com">
        fluorescent fixture to LED is that it is already there, wired,
        has the sockets, etc.
          years ago from magnetic ballast to electronic ballast and it
          was a good investment for me at the time (used less power,
          lights started faster, there was less flicker, less noise,
          worked better in the cold, erc.).</div>
          bulbs by just removing the electronic ballasts and inserting
          8' LED bulbs for all the reasons previously stated. I gave all
          of the electronic ballasts to a friend who was still using
          fluorescent 8' tubes with magnetic ballasts. These are the
          bulbs I used and I am completely satisfied with them:</div>
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MC1FW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MC1FW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</a><br>
          sockets directly to the 110VAC lines. It could not be easier.</div>
          around the house in the existing fluorescent sockets for the
          same reasons:</div>
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8KCJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1";

moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8KCJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</a><br>
          that you only have to change the bulbs and bypass the ballast.
          It is really easy to do and the technology is the same. You
          are just reusing the existing mounts.</div>
          use the direct mount LEDs that Mark is advocating. There is no
          need for the reflectors as the LED lights do not emit 360
          degree light, they can be purchased in 90 degree or 120 degree
          spread if you desire.</div>
          PM Mark Andy &lt;<a href="mailto:marka@maracing.com";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">marka@maracing.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              Howdy,
                ceiling.  There's no fixture.  I don't know that a
                fixture would help in any event, since the LEDs are all
                surface mounted, so they wouldn't throw light up toward
                the ceiling in any event.<br>
                You all should do whatever you like, but after using
                both these as well as fluorescents, there's no way I
                would use a fluorescent fixture.  I might compare other
                LED solutions, but if they cost significantly more than
                these, I wouldn't bother.  I've been nothing but
                impressed / happy with them.</div>
            Mark
                  at 7:14 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    anyone know? Seems like you'd still want a fixture
                    to reflect light.<br>
                        If I were doing this, I would pretty much just
                        throw away the existing stuff and put up these:<br>
                        <a
href="https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-8500LM-Daylight-Output-Linkable/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa</a><br>
                        I have a shop that was built around 7 years ago
                        and stuff like this wasn't available at this
                        cost, so I went with 4 tube
                        fluorescent fixtures.  They've been "fine", but
                        when I redid our daily driver parking garage
                        last year I used the Barrina lights.  Super
                        easy, nice bright light, and pretty cheap.
                        Absolutely no question that's what I'd do if I
                        were redoing the shop / what I will do when
                        the time comes when the existing fluorescents
                        die.<br>
                        YMMV.<br>
                        Mark</div>
                          10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                          style="margin:0px 0px 0px
                          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                          rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                            a bit of research:<br>
                            - there are some LED tubes that require a
                            ballast* ('Type A')<br>
                            - there are some LED tubes that require
                            bypassing of the ballast ('Type B')<br>
                            - there are some LED tubes that work with
                            ballast or without/bypassing, with some
                            rewiring* ('Type A+B')<br>
                            If you want the least (initial) hassle, and
                            have 'fresh' ballasts--they all fail,
                            eventually--you can plug and play the 'A+B'
                            type with a ballast then, when the ballast
                            fails you can bypass it, which requires some
                            rewiring (apparently, you can leave the dead
                            ballast in place). <br>
                            * Need to check compatibility between tube
                            and ballast.<br>
                              wrote:<br>
                                LED tubes, it sounds like they are
                                similar.  Here are the instructions for
                                the Feit, maybe that will help?<br>
                                <a
href="https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf";
                                  target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/T4815_850_AB_LED_10_MANUAL_051019.pdf</a><br>
                                  Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:12 PM john
                                  niolon &lt;<a
                                    href="mailto:jniolon@att.net";
                                    target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">jniolon@att.net</a>&gt;
                                  wrote:<br>
                                  style="margin:0px 0px 0px
                                  0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                                        years ago I bought a box of
                                        Utilitech t81636f16-40...4' led
                                        tubes...redid all my shop lights
                                        and was pleased with them</font></div>
                                        want to add some fixtures in
                                        another part of shop and my
                                        memory has failed... I know I
                                        had to rewire fixtures to make
                                        them work</font></div>
                                        remember what I did and
                                        instruction sheet is long gone
                                        or lost...</font></div>
                                        was a Lowes brand and now
                                        discontinued and Utilitech web
                                        site is a joke    anyone tell me
                                        how to wire these bulbs up
                                        either with or</font></div>
                                        ballast..,....seems I remember
                                        they were non shunted
                                        bulbs...but now sure</font></div>
UI">thanks</font></div>
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail.com</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>