[Shop-talk] Tire Pressure Gauges

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Tire Pressure Gauges
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 13:11:04 -0400

--00000000000097413605e029a0dc

A couple of tire pressure gauge questions:

I got tired of cheap Horrible Freight tire inflators, so I sprung for a
brace of Milton S-506 inflators, thinking of they were good enough for the
gas station of my youth, they ought to be ok now.  One in the garage, one
in the shop...they don't see a ton of use.  Last week, I was filling
bicycle tires in the garage with the hotdog compressor, and couldn't get
the air up sufficiently in the tire.  Finally went to get another
gauge...my electronic gauge quit, and my 50 years old Bridgeport Brass
gauge needs rebuilding, so I grabbed the.othwr Milton inflator.  Turns out,
I had missed blowing up the bicycle tires only by a miracle of Chinese
rubber.  One inflator reads 50 psi while the other one reads 90.

So, like when two inmates at the asylum both claim to be Napoleon, at least
one of them is lying. And at least one will need repairing.

So, two questions:.

1.  Any suggestions for a good reliable electronic or analog pressure gauge
to verify/calibrate the inflators?  (I also need one to put in my
daughter's car, so gloveboxability is a plus).

2.  Anyone ever repair a Milton (or Bridgeport) tire gauge?  Any
suggestions?  The Milton's aren't very old, especially in terms of what we
old guys expect from our expensive American made tools.

Bonus question:. How might one calibrate a pressure gauge against a primary
source?  I'm thinking of a water column or something, but 35 psi is
approximately 80 feet of water.  I'm finding that impractical for home use.

--00000000000097413605e029a0dc

nflators, so I sprung for a brace of Milton S-506 inflators, thinking of th=
ey were good enough for the gas station of my youth, they ought to be ok no=
w.=C2=A0 One in the garage, one in the shop...they don&#39;t see a ton of u=
se.=C2=A0 Last week, I was filling bicycle tires in the garage with the hot=
dog compressor, and couldn&#39;t get the air up sufficiently in the tire.=
=C2=A0 Finally went to get another gauge...my electronic gauge quit, and my=
 50 years old Bridgeport Brass gauge needs rebuilding, so I grabbed the.oth=
wr Milton inflator.=C2=A0 Turns out, I had missed blowing up the bicycle ti=
res only by a miracle of Chinese rubber.=C2=A0 One inflator reads 50 psi wh=
to">So, like when two inmates at the asylum both claim to be Napoleon, at l=
east one of them is lying. And at least one will need repairing.</div><div =
ood reliable electronic or analog pressure gauge to verify/calibrate the in=
flators?=C2=A0 (I also need one to put in my daughter&#39;s car, so glovebo=
=C2=A0 Anyone ever repair a Milton (or Bridgeport) tire gauge?=C2=A0 Any su=
ggestions?=C2=A0 The Milton&#39;s aren&#39;t very old, especially in terms =
of what we old guys expect from our expensive American made tools.</div><di=
alibrate a pressure gauge against a primary source?=C2=A0 I&#39;m thinking =
of a water column or something, but 35 psi is approximately 80 feet of wate=
r.=C2=A0 I&#39;m finding that impractical for home use.</div></div>

--00000000000097413605e029a0dc--

--===============9200911382812326064==

--===============9200911382812326064==--