RE: Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves

To: "'Rick Gregory'" <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:55:53 -0500
Rick,

As to question # 1... I prefer an electric pump because it will fill the
float bowl before you start cranking.  The engine starts sooner, less load
(read wear) on the starter, etc.

Q#2...  All of the Spitfire 1500s had a concentric "recess" at the top of
each bore, something like .040 wide and .006 deep (need to get out the
competition manual).  The proper head gasket for the 1500 has additional
metal that acts as an o-ring, filling that recess and sealing the cylinder
better.

Are you certain that you block is sleeved?  Or are you just seeing the
recess and assuming that the sleeve was pushed down too far?

Jim