Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All!

I've run across a couple of things while rebuilding a 1500 motor for
spitfire I'd appreciate any input on:

1) Upon unpacking the trunk (which was full of half the engine from
the po) I unexpectedly discovered an electric, inline fuel pump hooked
to the fuel line from the tank. Sure enough, I opened the hood (or
should I say bonnet?) and discovered a plate bolted tight against the
block of the old engine where I would have expected a mechanical pump.
Should I a)Keep the electric for the new motor -or- b)get a regular
fuel pump? Someone at the garage suggested running both? But I've
heard nightmares about just such a scenario gone bad when the
mechanical pump diaphram broke, but the engine would still run because
of the electric pump... this caused a "gas leak" into the crankcase
which subsequently dilluted the oil and damaged the engine...

2)When tearing down the new engine (to rebuild -- the old engine in
the car is shot) I discovered the cylinder walls were sleeved and
recessed below the surface of the cylinder head... Is this normal? We
were a bit concerned of "blow by" between the cylinders in the gasket
didn't compensate?

Any thoughts are appreciated as this is the first 1500 rebuild I've
been involved in...

--Rick