RE: Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Fuel pump & cylinder sleeves
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 20:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
You guys are right.... The cylinders just looked sleeved to my
untrained triumph eyes... But, hey, learning is what its all about,
right?

And to clarify, the spit is a '77 and the replacement motor came from
a '79.... (right, Pat B?)

My father made a suggestion that perhaps these engines were originally
sleeved and thus, of less displacement like earlier models of 1296.
Then, to increase displacement (and performance), the sleeves could
have been removed and over-sized pistons could have been used to bring
the engine to 1493 without major production changes. (the 1500) --
this may account for the recession of the cylinders--where the sleeve
flang would have gone? make sense? Or just an off-target guess?

In either case I trust these modified "ringed" gaskets will do the
job. Thanks for the info!

I also like the idea of the electric fuel pump--think I'll stick with
it.

--Rick