Failing overdrive

To: Spitfires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Failing overdrive
From: Michael Thomas <mathomas@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:27:40 -0400
Has anyone had any problems the overdrive solenoid?

After rebuilding my transmission over the winter, I have been enjoying
driving with a functional overdrive.  With time, however, the overdrive
is taking longer and longer to engage.

The biggest thing I "fixed" to get it working the first time was to
"repair" the solenoid.  I took a ball peen hammer to the metal case
because it had deformed where the pins hold the housing.  I believe that
the case was moving so much that the piston was not travelling
sufficiently to get the o/d engaged.  However, I am now hearing the all
familiar clicking of the solenoid as I hit the switch -- and I think my
"repair" did not last that long.

I am considering two possible repairs to the solenoid to keep the outer
shell from moving.  The first involves removing as much oil as possible,
and using some epoxy to glue the end on.  The second, which is probably
a better plan, requires drilling holes in the side of the solenoid and
putting screws in (basically adding a few more pins around the
circumference).  My biggest concern with this is that I don't know what
the inside of the solenoid looks like, so I don't want to drill
blindly.  I am assuming that the solenoid is axisymmetric, so extra
screws around the end shouldn't hurt, but...

Has anyone had a similar problem or a more elegant solution?  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Thomas
'75 Spit