Re: Failing overdrive

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A), Ken Tharp <kthinc@dwx.com>
Subject: Re: Failing overdrive
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:13:39 -0400
At 07:40 AM 8/17/98, Bowen, Patrick A wrote:
>By declutching I assume you mean pushing in on the clutch with your foot.
>But doesn't the O/D have its own internal clutch that does this for you?

In a manner of speaking it does (and thank-you James Carpenter for
explaining how it works, now I understand why it slips if the tranny oil is
low or "too slippery").  It's just that unless you push in the clutch, it
shifts with a jerk!

No smart-ass comments about the Driver, please!   :-/

So my original question remains:   would this cone-clutch (and the tranny
internals) last longer if the clutch was used when engaging the overdrive?

Atwell Haines (the inquiring mind)
'79 Spitfire (usually driven with a jerk?)