RE: spitfire ignition timing

To: "Bowley, Glenn (GCICT)" <glenn.bowley@gerbercoburn.com>,
Subject: RE: spitfire ignition timing
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:52:00 -0400
At 10:09 AM 8/14/98 -0400, Bowley, Glenn (GCICT) wrote:
>I'm going to disagree with you on the retard part. Why then if I set my
>timing to 2 ATDC without the vacuum line connected, and then reconnect
>it (I've done this with the timing light on) does my timing jump to 10
>BTDC? Sounds more like an advance than a retard unit.
>BTW: This car does not have the electronic ignition on it, Removed by
>PO.

Sounds to me as if the PO did more than remove the electrinc ignition, he
installed a different distributor with a vacumm ADVANCE rather than RETARD.

"NOT THAT THERE"S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!" - Seinfeld

Barry's advice holds true: run the most advance you can without engine
knock.  Your car will be happier.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98