Re: vacuum line needed

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: vacuum line needed
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:49:56 -0400
Ryan,

A FUSED vacuum line?  That Prince of Darkness is a tricky devil! What
amperage???    :)

You mean melted?   Then blow in one end and see if it passes air.  If it's
melted _through_ at the "fused" point, cut the break out and splice it with
a straight sleeve (available from the big 3 vendors) or piece of vacuum hose.

I replaced all the vacuum line ends (sleeves) on my car and the increased
vacuum changed my idle timing (with vacuum retard and EGR valve) a few
degrees, so if they are really old, it would be a good thing to do.  Of
course if you are cheap you could seal the loose sleeves with RTV Silicone
or something.

If you want you can replace the OEM hard-plastic line with regular
rubber-hose vacuum line, available at any auto parts store.  Bring in one
of the old ends to properly size the new hose.

Cheers,

At 02:21 PM 8/16/98 PDT, Ryan Smith wrote:
>I was tinkering around this afternoon and I noticed that the vacuum line
>going to the distributor has melted on the thermostat housing.  I'm not
>sure if its fused or not.  My car has several reasons to run roughly.
>Anyway if anyone knows where I can get a new one I'd appreciate it.
>Thumbing through my collection of vendors catalogs I couldn't find one
>that had it for a MkIV.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98