Re: Paint code for '81 1500

To: "Paul McMullen" <Paul@mcmullen.force9.co.uk>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Paint code for '81 1500
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 21:36:06 -0400
At 12:29 AM 8/17/98 +0100, Paul McMullen wrote:
>Greetings everyone,
>I've just returned to the Spifire scene after an absence of 17 years
>(children just don't like travelling on the luggage rack) by buying a '81
>registered 1500.

Great!   You will find a lot has changed for the better, in the world of
Triumph spares.

>I was intending to change the colour from white to blue but
>she who must be obeyed says it has to stay white. Which brings me to my
>point, the paint code is NCG which I can't find any reference to in my books
>or via the local Unipart dealers microfiche system. The dealer reckons that
>it would be Leyland white for this year (NAF). Can anyone tell me if this is
>right or what the closest shade would be?

I didn't find the type of codes you mention on my '79, they are numerical.
e;g; my car is Carmine Red, code 82.

 (see http://www.vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/index.html)

Maybe yours is White, code 19?

Anyway failing that, if you have a white bit of the car that you could
bring down to a modern auto paint supplier, I'm sure they could do a dandy
job with computer-matching!

Good Luck.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98