Trunnion re-assembly grease

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Trunnion re-assembly grease
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:41:46 +0100
     This is NOT a post about lubricating a trunnion in use...I know it has
     to be 90 weight gear oil.  Please read on:-

     The official workshop manual states that when replacing the nylon
     bushes that go into the front trunnions they should be lightly coated
     with 'a zinc based grease'.

     My understanding is that a normal Lithium based grease can attract
     water over time causing the bolt and the metal shaft inside the nylon
     to permanently become one (hands up everyone who had to resort to the
     hacksaw / angle grinder / cussing approach when dissassembling).  Does
     anyone know what is suitable?

     Pat