Re: Trunnion re-assembly grease

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Trunnion re-assembly grease
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:21:35 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, James wrote:

> I can't remember my chemestry that well, so I could not say, but what
> you need is a metal that will rust instead of the iron in the steel.  So
> it has to have a bigger Hydrogen Cell voltage.  Here is where I need
> someone with the relivent data books, and a better working knoladge of
> chemistry.
>
> I can't remember is copper is more reactive than iron, if it's not you
> will find the iron will rust even more.
> You need somthing like zink, because it's realy reactive, copper
> probebly is not as good.

Copper is less reactive than iron, so for this reason I guess you may
reject copper grease...
However I'm not sure this is really the reason why Zinc was suggest...
I though that the really important purpose of any grease used on the
trunion bottom bolt was to maintain an efficient layer over the components
to prevent significant water and air ingress...
If you compare tins of lithium and copper grease, copper grease seems much
more substantial and less likely to be "washed" from the joint by water...
Thus it may be a good alternative to Zinc...

Thats just my $0.02 worth..
                        Cheers
                                        Tim