Re: Regular Maintenance Suggestions

To: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Regular Maintenance Suggestions
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:05:20 -0400
Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB) wrote:

[snip]
> Does anyone have any routine (preventative) maintenance tips that they
> swear by such as:
> - Oil additives such as Prolong or Slick 50 - are they good or a waste
> of $

This always opens an argument. I feel that they are a waste of
money of you are using a _quality_ oil. I suggest that you check
out the article snak_oil.txt at:

ftp://ftp.team.net/sol/

and make up your own mind.

> - Gas additives (my dad's Healey club swears by something called
> Mystery Oil)

I am not a fan of any additives. I know people that use them,
I have yet to see any value.

> - Fluid change outs (my mechanic swears to change the coolant
> once/year).

Not really necessary to do it once a year, but many of the
ingredients in coolant do wear out and should it should be
changed every couple of years.

> - Anything to religiously check.

Oil - both in the engine and the dashpot. The engine _will_
leak. Worry big time when it stops.
Brake and clutch master cylinders.

--
Doug Mitchell