Re: Regular Maintenance Suggestions

To: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Regular Maintenance Suggestions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:06:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB) wrote:

> I am now the proud owner of a '79 Spit...
> Does anyone have any routine (preventative) maintenance tips that they
> swear by such as:
> - Oil additives such as Prolong or Slick 50 - are they good or a waste
> of $

Pretty much the latter -- waste of money. Use a good name-brand oil of
the proper weight and change it and the filter at least as often as
recommended.

> - Gas additives (my dad's Healey club swears by something called Mystery
> Oil)

Good old Marvel Mystery Oil -- lots of uses (gas additive, upper cylinder
lubricant, etc.), but I'm not sure how much effect it has on anything.
Basically, gas additives are like oil additives: you don't really need
them if you use a quality gas of the correct octane rating ("regular" is
probably fine for a '79 Spit).

> - Fluid change outs (my mechanic swears to change the coolant
> once/year).

Once a year might be a bit obsessive for coolant, but it couldn't hurt.
Gearbox and differential oil don't need to be changed at all -- only
topped up as needed. Brake and clutch fluid changes every year or two can
certainly help prolong the life of those systems.

> - Anything to religiously check.

Yes -- your favorite bookseller for at least the original owner's manual
and perhaps a good workshop manual as well (Bentley will cover both needs
in one book). Follow the scheduled maintenance recommendations therein.

The Spitfire -- mostly 1950s and 1960s design and engineering -- is
long-removed (maintenance-wise) from cars of the 1940s and 1950s (even
some other early 1960s cars. But it is almost as far removed
(maintenance-wise) from today's cars with 100,000 mile tuneup intervals
and 7500+ mi. oil changes. Follow at least the scheduled maintenance and
the car should serve you just fine.

--Andy