REPLACING FLOORPANS

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: REPLACING FLOORPANS
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:30:16
ok  Here is my next major project (one I am not looking forward to).  I
have one of my cars stripped all the way down and unbolted from the frame.
Unfortunately I do not have enough people to lift it off.  But I do need to
replace my floorpans, and The inner part of my rockers.  I have seen some
of you say its best to do it on the frame but others, have told me to
replace them off the frame.  I have the replacement pans that cover the
whole length of the floorpan, not just the half sized ones.  What is the
best way of doing it, on/off frame, should I overlap or butt weld it (I am
very UNtalented in welding) Should I rent a MIG welder, or pay someone to
do it.  How do you make sure the car is straight afterwards?  I am
concerned about getting this done right and am looking forward to any input
on the best way of doing it.  Thanks

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire daily driver
'76 Spitfire that will soon become the body of the '79