RE: FW: Camber Compensator?

To: "'Andrew Mace'" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: FW: Camber Compensator?
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:57:37 -0500
Thanks!

Paul M.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Mace [mailto:amace@unix2.nysed.gov]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 1998 9:52 AM
To: Mostrom, Paul
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Mostrom, Paul wrote:

> > I have a '77 Spitfire 1500 that I would like to autocross.  I was
told
> > that some Spitfires are required (by SCCA) to have a 'camber
> > compensator' installed.   Can anyone give me a clue what this
entails?
> > How do I know if I need one?  And if I need one, where do I get one?
> > I've got about a month before the next regional race and I would
> > really like to be driving this time!

AFAIK, the camber compensator requirement for SCCA is only for those
1970
and earlier Spitfires with the original rear spring. The 1971 and later
"swing-spring" pretty much obviates the need for the compensator, which
basically limited the rear wheels from "tucking under" too much. That,
in a different way, is what the swing-spring does: it reduces the
extreme
camber changes of the rear wheels.

--Andy