Re: FW: Camber Compensator?

To: "Moorse,Jeffrey" <jeff.moorse@ABBOTT.COM>
Subject: Re: FW: Camber Compensator?
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:16:28 -0400
I was going to let this go, but I guess I better jump in here.
Andy Mace is correct, the "early" cars are semi-required to
have the camber compensator. The later cars don't need them,
but you can use them. You can also follow the Competition
Handbook procedure and modify the spring. You really don't
need the compensator on the square tail Spits.

As for how they do, you will have to look at the competition
in your area. I used to regularly auto-x/Solo II my Spit
back in the old days (late '70s-early '80s), and won the
local class for three years straight. They used the SCCA
rules, but classed a little differently. Kept moving the
Spit up a class every year. Now, there are very few Brit
cars running in the Detroit area, most of the people are
more interested in show rather than go.

The other thing to keep in mind when auto-xing a Spit
these days is that most of the tech inspectors couldn't
tell whether your car is stock or not.

Speaking of racing, I worked the races at Waterford Hills
this past Saturday, and was quite pleased to see the number
of Triumph based prod cars running. There were 3 Spits, 1 GT6
a TR6 and a TR7. There was a Midget in the paddock, but
he didn't run on Saturday. There was also a Mini.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net