Re: update: URGENT!!! please help

To: A666K@aol.com, Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: update: URGENT!!! please help
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:23:13 EST
In a message dated 98-12-02 23:45:17 EST, A666K writes:

> 1.Will the Alt. not charge at all w/ a burnt IGN. lamp?

Not reliabily. It may and it may not, usually not. It will charge only if your
iron core has become magnetized enough, in the same manner as a screwdriver
can become magnetized.

>  2.Is the car operable w/o any fuse in place?

If I have the correct diagram, yes. I'm not sure just how the seat belt module
interlocks, but I'm sure you can still get home if you bypass the starter
solenoid to get the car started. Once started, no problem. Tom, can you
confirm this?

>  3.something I forgot to mention in my initial E-mail was that; a)my gauges/
> blinkers /wipers used to throw little fits and not work for some days and
> then work fine for weeks. b) My hazard dash lamp stays on whenever the
> headlights are on, I forgot to mention this b/c I covered the it days after
> got the car so I could drive at night w/o losing my mind.

a) All these items are fed from the green fuse. This may be an indication of
where the drain is.

c) I don't understand how this can be, unless  1. the PO has modified the
wiring, or 2. there is a short somewhere.

>  and finally 4.does anybody now how far a fully charged batt. can take you,
> assuming the Alt. and everything else is disconected. Batt. only powering
> spark plugs(in case Alt. #3 is bad too....)

The battery wil be called on to supply about 3 amps to drive the ignition.
Compare that to your battery rating to get some idea.

Dan