Re: Front End Rebuild

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Front End Rebuild
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:41:47 -0500
Patrick, I can only speak for the poly bushings. Simply stated, go for them. I
upgraded my 76 Spitfire with poly bushings all around and it made a world of
difference. No more play in the steering, instant response to steering, and no
wandering, tail wagging, or oversteer. When I removed the rubber bushings, they
all looked like new (no signs of wear or shrinkage).

The slop in the steering you have now is probably due to worn bushings on the
steering rack. If you move the steering wheel while watching the steering rack,
you will likely see it moving back and forth without the wheels actually moving.
New poly bushings will cure that.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario