RE: Front End Rebuild

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front End Rebuild
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:07:35 -0600
Patrick (and all),

The rubber bushings in the rack coupler itself tend to self distruct
after..oh, twenty years of being baked in engine oil (what, oil leaks in a
Spitfire!  Oh no...) and that'll give quite a bit of free play to the
steering.  My ex-girlfriends '68 Spit would corner ok once you got to the
limit of the free play.  :-)  Just could never convince her to set aside an
afternoon to replace the coupler (it's been sitting in a box in my hallway
for 8 months now).

A friend in the local club used faucet washers (.05 ea) instead of the TRF
bushing ($2 ea)... you need 8 to do the job.

Check British Parts Northwest... typically they'll sell the polyurethane
bushings for about the cost of the stock rubber replacements bushings.  The
poly rack bushings will give the benefit of solid aluminum mounts at a
fraction of the cost ($8 vs $35).

Or if you want stock bushings drop me a note... I've collected way too many
for my project car before I discovered the poly.

Jim