So What happens when you redline?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: So What happens when you redline?
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:21:37
Imagine this, yesterday morning, overcast with fog and a slight drizzle in
north Florida.  I walk into the garage open the large garage door and
proceed to start my car.  It starts, but while waiting for the Tach to pick
up and start reading, the engine starts to take on a hideously loud whir,
and then a whine, and then a scream! Just as the tach decides it is now
time to work and reads right at 6500 rpm at the same instant my hand turns
off the engine.  As I am already late for work, and this is my only car (if
I took my wifes, the perverbial oil leaking support vehicle, I would leave
her stranded) I had to drive it to work.  Well on went the cycle of turning
off the engine when I stopped and trying to keep the accelerator up by
pulling with my toe.  Definitely not the most pleasing method of driving a
spit.

Well to make an already too long stroy short.  My accelerator is sticking.
Best that I am able to surmise the reason is that there should be a spring
between the pedal and somewhere on the firewall.  This apparently supports
the weight of the pedal and provides quick return.

Can someone please tell me where on the firewall (or wherever) this is
suppose to connect?  and the general size and shape of this spring.  I
currently have two rubber bands doing the job.  Also Vicky Brit list two
accelerator cables one for up to 78 and one for 79-80.  What is the actual
difference.  My vehicle is not stock and I want to know which will meet my
need.

Thanks Very Much.

Gee Officer would you believe the reason I was doing 80 in this fine sports
car was ....
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL