Re: So What happens when you redline?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: So What happens when you redline?
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:28:25 EST
I had the gas pedal catch on a piece of loose carpet once and stick to the
floor.  As the car accelerated out of control in first gear, I punched in the
clutch, and watched the tach needle hit the stop at the red line so hard that
it actually bounced back.  I quickly shut off the car, freed the pedal and
restarted it.  The engine ran like crap the whole way home, but I was too
apprehensive to stop and take a look although I did mentally catalogue the
most expense alternatives.  Turned out that the vibration had merely shook a
spark plug wire loose.  How's that for luck?

I believe that the spring that you're talking about is underneath the dash
where the pedal assembly mounts to the bulkhead.  You have to lie with your
head in the footwell to see it.  However, I agree with the other lister that
the problem is probably your cable fraying.  I had a similar problem including
not being able to take my wife's car.  Since I didn''t have time to obtain the
necessary cable from the normal suppliers, I replaced the inner wire only with
a brake cable from a ten speed bicycle cut to size and fed through the
original cable sheathing.  Not exactly a sanctioned repair, but it WILL work
until you can get the right parts (in my case, three years and counting).

-Greg