Idiot Parts Guys (kinda lengthy, sorry)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Idiot Parts Guys (kinda lengthy, sorry)
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:31:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi All!

I don't mean to vent but I just got back from my neighborhood Discount
Auto Store and I just have to share this. I swear everything you about
to read is totally the truth, this is not made up! It is not even
exaggerated. It just happened minutes ago.

Sometimes I cringe these days when I try to find Triumph parts
locally. This exemplifies why. (I guess it could be argued I brought
this on myself by going there)

Several days ago I purchased a distributor cap and rotor for my '77
spit 1500. This weekend I'm planning on trying to start my newly
rebuilt engine so I decided to pick-up a new set of points/condenser.
Discount had the cap and rotor, sounds to reason they would probably
have the points, right?

I walk back to the counter. "May I help you"... "yes, I'd like a
points/condenser assembly for a '77 triumph". "Okay sir, who makes
your Triumph?", I'm asked. (I already know I'm in trouble). "Triumph
is the manufacturer", I replied. "No Really. I'm not that stupid...who
makes your Triumph?"

I swear those were his exact words! ... Guess what I'm thinking.....
<"OH YES YOU ARE!"> -- I tell him again, "Triumph is the maker, they
stopped making cars in the early 80s" ... He absolutely refused to
believe me. Finally, patience running thin, I reach across the damn
keyboard myself, hit the DOWN ARROW key and scroll down to the T's and
select "Triumph". His eyes almost bulged out.

"Ok Wow I guess your right". "What model?" he asked. I said "'77
Spitfire 1500. Lucas Distributor". He selected "Spitfire" on his
screen then it happened again... "Is that with electronic ignition?"
he asked ... <?>

"Now, what did I say I wanted? I said I wanted a set of points and a
condensor". Afterwards he rolled his eyes and told me "We don't carry
points for the Locus Distributor".

Now annoyed, I corrected him one final time: "A locus is a bug that
looks like a grasshopper and eats crops. Lucas makes the
distributer... llluuuucccaaasss think 'Luke Skywalker'". He then left
the counter to work the cashier up front as other customers were
getting restless in line.

I still don't know if he even knows what points are. And all this
hassle for nothing.

And we are not talking about some 18 year old kid here either. This
guy had to be in his mid-30's. Now I'm 29 and I heard of Triumph long
before I ever started my restoration project. And I don't work in the
automotive field, I just dabble for fun. Why is a guy like this behind
the counter?

--Rick