Re: Replacing valve springs

To: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing valve springs
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 17:18:19 -0800
Glenn,
        I haven't looked closely at a spit 1500, but on the
pushrod 1400 datsun motor that's in my spit, it was not
too difficult. I bought a cheapy tool at my local auto parts
store. It grabs the top and bottom coils of the sping and sqishes
it together. Then you can extract the keepers and spring. Of course,
while your doing this, you don't want to drop the valve into
the cylinder. On the mine, I think I just made sure that
the piston in question was at the top of its stroke. Manuvering
the tool into position was the dificult part, if I remember
correctly.
(It turned out that the valve seat had come completely
loose from the head, chewing a big hole in it, so I ended
up replacing the head anyway. But that's another story.)

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com