Re: Replacing valve springs

To: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing valve springs
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 19:12:43 -0500

Glenn Trunnell wrote:

> Hey everone,
>
> I think that I've got the annoying miss in my '79 narrowed down to a weak
> valve spring.  I've done the test where you hold a dollar bill over the
> tail pipe and it snaps up against the pipe.  I had a valve job done about
> 300 miles ago but unfortunately didn't replace the springs.  The
> compression is good on all cylinders so I don't believe that I have a
> burned exhaust valve, I also tried increasing the clearance on the rockers
> with no benefit.  I have been told that you can replace the springs without
> removing the head provided that you use an air compressor to keep the
> valves seated while you remove the keepers and springs.  Is there a valve
> spring tool that will allow you to compress the springs while the head is
> on the block? Has anyone ever tried this?  Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always,
> Glenn

Glenn
I've heard of valve spring compressors that use the
intake manifold bolts as a fulcrum and do not require
the removal of the head but I think these were for
small block Chevys although I see no reason why you couldn't
fabricate something that would work on a four cylinder.Basically
it was just a lever to compress the spring. It's
probably 15 yrs since I heard of these tools but they might still be
available from a specialty tool supply  i.e. Snap-On
Hope this helps
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlington, Ontario