Re: Radios and Rear Camber

To: ctschmitz@west.raytheon.com
Subject: Re: Radios and Rear Camber
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:30:30 -0500

ctschmitz@west.raytheon.com wrote:

>         On the Spitfire one might be able to tune the rear camber quite
>      precisely by spacing the axles outward at the U-joints or spacing the
>      differential downwards. Haven't really thought this one through as I
>      have no intention of pursuing it, so just food for thought.

An elegant solution is to make a spacer plate that fits between the diff
housing and the center of the leaf spring.  You might need to get longer studs,
depending on how thick you make the plate, but that's the only modification to
the car itself.

Moving the center of the spring "up" results in it's wheel ends moving "up" a
corresponding amount, resulting in negative camber.  I've seen pictures of a
SLAMMED Spit that was lowered in this manner, with the wheels sitting at what
had to be 60 degree angles.  Tough on tires, but I'm told it cornered like it
was on rails.

John