battery box

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: battery box
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:54:44 PST
Hi all.
My 71 Spitfire has no rust (no really!) except for some under the master
cylinders (for obvious reasons) and the battery box. The battery box is
quite holy (sic) and so I need to do something about it. It is nice to
have a blessed battery box, but the automatic air conditioning is a bit
much on a blustery day.
Sooooo I want to pop out the old one and put in a new. There of course
lies my dilemma. It is spot welded all the way around about every half
inch and there are the two supports that overlap it on each side.
I contemplate doing a total frame off restoration some day, but I would
say that that is a few years down the road. So I do not want to do
something I would regret later.
My question then (finally he gets to the question) is how do I remove
the old box? One friend said that I could drill out each of the spot
welds. Another thought I could use a grinder and just grind part way
through, I also heard there was some kind of spot weld removing tool.
I have also contemplated the plastic battery boxes at Moss but then do I
cut out the old or Navel Jelly it or what? Any suggestions (as always)
would be highly appreciated.
Keith
71 MK IV rising from the ashes of neglect.