Re: battery box

To: kayak_keith@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: battery box
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:16:06 EST
Hi;

I removed the battery box on my GT6 (or at least what was left of it) Some DPO
had cut out the bottom of the box, which was also perforated, I suspect and
replaced it with a folded "box" of galvanized sheet steel. It was pop riveted
in place and sealed with body caulk!! It was uglier than sin and also rusted
away. I drilled out the spot welds with a normal drill and bit. A short, thin
pry bar and scraper can be used to "cut" through any remaining weld. It can be
accomplished in about an hour. I purchased a replacement steel battery box
from VB and other than having to bend the rear lip at an angle to match the
scuttle it fits perfect. This procedure also allows you to sand away any
remaining rut and welding it back in place is a snap. I plan to relocate the
battery to the boot area of my GT6 to improve weight distribution and
eliminate the corrosion problem, but it's nice to have a clean and well
painted battery box. After restoring the box I recommend a plastic insert and
anti corrosion mat between the plastic box and the metal box.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
KC79746L
A2 Michigan