What a day..

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: What a day..
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:39:28 -0500
I had the quintessential Shop Day yesterday, just one of those utterly
perfect ones...

Big breakfast at my local diner where the waitress knows your name and
what you want and rubs your pregnant wife's belly and keeps your coffee
full, then home to the shop.  Sunny blue sky, temps in the high 60's,
shop doors thrown open to the breeze, dogs roaming in and out.

Got my "fix" of stainless hardware on thursday so I was able to proceed
on a bunch of projects that had been on hold for fasteners; pedals and
masters and a bunch of the motor all went back on..  Later in the day a
Spit Buddy dropped in and made me a deal on an immaculate steel hardtop,
exchanged for a big old pile of my cast-off donor car remains out behind
the shop, which were starting to become a problem for me with my
up-coming household move looming on the horizon!  (Talk about kismet!)

My wife was like "Let me get this straight..  Mike's going to come and
haul away all of that junk *AND* give you a perfect hardtop too?!?!?  Is
he nuts???"

(She just doesn't see the value in rusty old tubs and bonnets...)

Anyway, I capped off the day with a late afternoon drive in Mike's
Spitfire, the *first* time I've driven a Spit since driving my donor car
for ten minutes home from the sellers house four (long) years ago,
whereupon it went into the garage for new carpets and never
emerged....   If I've had any moments of frustration and impatience
during my grueling Spitfire restoration, last night's half hour of
actually driving one erased all memory of the blasphemous thought.  I'm
completely envious of y'all who actually *drive* your LBC!!  (I just go
out in the shop and rub money on mine!)  I mean, these cars are a hoot
to drive!  (Who knew!?!)

So now I'm actually considering the purchase of an "Interim Beater"
Spit, something crappy but operational to drive until my "Perfect Spit"
is done.  (Like I don't have enough cars already, with only eight in the
stable..)

Anybody selling a beater?

John