RE: rear suspension and RE: Brake lines in spitfires

To: "'Barry Schwartz'" <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: rear suspension and RE: Brake lines in spitfires
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:42:29 -0800
Thanks Barry. I think I'll have to put it together and see how it drives
before making many more changes. Did you have any tyre clearance problems
at the rear with the longer axles? I'm wondering if the change to the
square-tail body included some provision for additional wheel clearance.
I'd rather not have to mess with the wheel wells if possible.

Also - care to part with your source for the longer hoses? I'd like to go
stainless braided but I think most suppliers I'm aware of only stock the er
'stock' replacements.

Thanks
Mark Sinclair

Note to listers with older sagging springs!!
When I took mine apart I found that the hoses had actually rubbed against
the axles at some point - the rear spring was pretty worn. Could have gone
any time. Rather scary. It seems like the mounting system should designed
such that rubbing is not possible regardless of the amount of spring
travel. It's possible that mine had been meddled with at some point but it
looked pretty original. I'd recommend checking the hoses next time you're
under the care.