Re: Mustang...Spitfire???

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Mustang...Spitfire???
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:32:39 -0600
Hi Scott, Joe, Andy, and lists:

You asked for lap times - welI  can't do quite that.  However, at our last
vintage race, an Elva courier III (MGB motor, about 15:1 comp) was fastest.
Faster than F Fords, Vees AND a 66 GT350 fastback (yes, an original.  Yes,
warmed over per normal vintage "stuff".  Yes, raced for DECADES by a
competent driver).

However,  with home track advantage (and a short one at that, 1.33 miles,
see

www.ee.umanitoba.ca/~pehn/wscc  for club website and track map)

even I was faster than the Vees.  I was competitive with a well massaged
Porsche 356 running an ultraclose box (until the incident).  Here;s the
thing.  Torque wins drag races.  Racing is a series of boring drag races
with really fun bits in between.   "Old" cars with modern tires are totally
different animals than old cars with old tires.    But weight reduction is
an almost 100 percent efficient antidote to torque.  Thus the relationship
between the Elva and the GT 350.

Now,  decide what is more important in "racing",  the straights, or the
twisties.  For those of you fenced-sitters, I recommend one of each!

Dave T

powerslides are fun.
my Triumph does not powerslide
therefore, my Triumph is not fun

There.  A classic example of a fallacious categorical syllogism (thankfully)

Now, a test.  find the fault in the formal logic:

Joe has a spitfire.
Joe has three spitfire doors
Spitfires have  2 doors
Dave is really bored and getting silly