RE: Mustang...Spitfire???

To: "\"Joe Curry\" " <spitlist@gte.net>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mustang...Spitfire???
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:43:00 -0800
I bought a '67 Camaro Z-28 back when they first came out (I think Roger
Penske got numbers 1 & 2).  I fed it a steady diet of Mustangs!!  But in
1970 I traded it in on a new MGB because I wanted a "real" sports car.
My definition of a real sports car back then was that it was a
two-seater, manual transmission, rag top, and probably came from either
the UK or Italy.

Now I have a 1997 Camaro Z-28 and, of course, my beloved '79 Spitfire.
When I "feel the need for speed" in air conditioned comfort, six forward
speeds, and 400 RMS watts of sound power, I drive the Camaro, which will
do 155+ MPH in the blink of an eye (and you can still hear the stereo!).
 But for shear driving fun and pure sports car pleasure (and it too has
six forward speeds) it will always be my Spitfire... once I get it
restored and back on the road that is.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (mine for all its 20 years)

Author:  "Joe Curry" [SMTP:spitlist@gte.net] at MSXGATE
Date:    3/14/99 8:41 PM

Scott,
Them was da words of "Car and Driver" and applied to the 64-1/2 Mustang
(a pretty tame hoss at best).  In the intervening years, Ford had the
presence of mind (and competition) to put a little more kick in the
pony's hooves.  The 68 was substantially a better car and by far more
"sporty" than the original one.

Personally, I liked the '67 Camaro I once had better than any of the
Mustangs (except perhaps the Shelby ones) but that is a matter of
personal opinion.  With its 230 ci. 6 cylinder it was undefeated in
autocross competition in a class that included all GT types of over 2000
cc.  You're right, it's the driver (wink wink, nudge nudge)

Regards,
Joe