Exhaust secrets?

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust secrets?
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:43:54 +0100
Has anyone out there disconnected their exhaust pipe from the exhaust
manifold?  If you have, could you please let me in on the secret of how
to remove the front bolt?

Ok, maybe this needs a bit more explaination....

The exhaust pipe is connected to the manifold by three bolts.  One of
these bolts comes off no problem.  Another one (on my car, anyway) will
come off once I use some brute force (and a bit of WD-40 maybe) to get
it unstuck.

But I just can't get to the third one at all.  It is towards the front
of the car, between the engine and the exhaust pipe.  I can get a socket
onto it, and I can get a ratchet over the socket, but the ratchet will
only face forwards - with the front of the engine on one side, and the
suspension arm on the other side.  (If you try to get the ratchet to
face any other way, the exhaust pipe gets in the way.)  The problem is
that when I turn the ratchet, there is so little room between the engine
and the suspension arm for it to move in, that I can't get the bolt
undone - any movement doesn't even take up the slack in the ratchet, let
alone start to move the bolt.

Has anyone else come across this problem, or is it just me?????  Please
tell me that I'm not the only one, and tell me how you got round the
problem!  My car is currently in pieces, and I really don't want to have
to put it all back together again to take it to the garage and get them
to take it all apart again and charge me a fortune for it!

TIA

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500 (nearly, anyway!)