Re: Rimmer Bros

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rimmer Bros
From: cecil wise <cwise@southwind.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 18:08:07 -0500
Don't normally contribute much, but felt compelled to respond to this one.  I
bought a Rimmers transmission for my '80 spitfire about 5 years and 4-5k miles
ago (restored the car in the meantime).  Most of these miles were highway
miles, with a trip to Pennsylvania and a trip to Dallas Texas (I live in
Kansas), plus 2 autocrosses and a couple of funkanas, so it hasn't seen a whole
lot of abuse.  Two weeks ago, it came apart.  Haven't pulled it out yet to see
exactly what failed, but it makes horrible noises and wont go in all gears
except 4th.

This brings up the question:  Why are the rebuilt units from Rimmers so cheap?
Are they cutting corners, or do they just have good, fast people rebuilding
these things?  With my experience from 2 weeks ago, I'm leaning toward the
cutting corners theory.

Cecil
'65, '80 Spitfires
'62 Vitesse