RE: Rear spring sag??????

To: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Rear spring sag??????
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:35:05 -0400
At 09:11 AM 6/15/99 +0100, Dean Dashwood wrote:

>Jamie,
>
>can't remember the last time I saw a Spit that didn't have this problem.
> The springs will sag a bit over time, and the driver's side will be
>worse because it's got the weight of a person on top of it far more than
>the passanger side!  I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I
>wouldn't worry about it unless it's really severe.

Possible fixes:

1. replace rear spring (about $160 USD unless you catch a sale) includes
the spring bush which _may_ have disintegrated. (As has been pointed out
this is often a temporary fix.)

2. Install air-lift shocks, see the article on the VTR site.  (JC Whitney
air shocks for 1965 Corvette are the ones you want to ask for.)

To compensate for driver-side sag:

1. Reverse the swing-spring once a year!

2. Install your air shocks with separate air valves for Right & Left. Keep
the driver's side pumped up!

3. Someone was modifying springs with an extra leaf for the drivers side.
(Was it you, Ted Schumacher?) Don't know how long these last.

Remember, you get a LOT more spring sag with the weight of driver &
passenger in the car.

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (with 2 yr old spring, starting to sag already)

"There is almost always more than one way to skin a cat."