Re: Switching to DOT 5

To: jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Switching to DOT 5
From: HD50EL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:53:22 EST
Jeff, if you are going to use DOT 5 fluid, you will need to flush the entire
braking system with Denatured Alcohol. DOT 5 is not compatible with
conventional brake fluid, and will cause you much grief if it gets
contaminated. You should get at least a couple quarts of Denatured Alcohol,
and flush the system before you take it apart. After you take the system
apart, blow out all of the lines with compressed air. Also, you should get a
set of caliper kits, and rebuild the calipers. You should also replace all of
the rubber brake hoses also. Doing these things will allow you get many years
out of the braking system. I am doing the exact same thing with the brakes on
my 75 Spit, and have done hundreds of DOT 5 conversions. It's definitely the
way to go!

John C. Smith
75 Spitfire