Re: Switching to DOT 5

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Switching to DOT 5
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:38:57 +0000

Jeff,

There's been a few replies about needing to completely flush the old brake fluid
out, so I won't repeat that.

You said you won't use the car as a daily driver.  I seem to recall that DOT5
might not be such a good idea for cars that aren't used reguarly.

The problem is that DOT5 doesn't absorb any water.  Normally, this would be a
good thing in a brake fluid, and this is one of the reasons people switch to
DOT5 (apart from not wanting to corrode their paint).  But if the fluid doesn't
absorb water, any water which gets into the brake system will just sit in the
brake pipes not moving, and will cause localised rusting of the pipes, from the
inside out.  This isn't a problem if you drive the car regularly, because the
water will move around as you drive, and rust won't get a chance to set in, but
if the car's sitting for extended periods it may be an issue.

I'll leave this one for the list to debate - no doubt you'll hear from some
people who leave DOT5 in their car for 6 months of the year and have never had
any problems.....

Dean