RE: Keys and locks

To: "'R A Woodward'" <r.woodward@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Keys and locks
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:47:44 -0500
> I had a locksmith clean and lubricate the original barrel and
> make keys
> (there was no original). He had to take a blank for the ignition and
> shorten it. As someone else had noted, my lock had also been
> rotated 45
> degrees by a DPO.

First, what do you mean rotated 45 degrees? That is very difficult to
do. I have seen them 90 degrees with the 'ears' side to side instead
of front to back. If the lock guts were rotated, someone had to really
try to do that.

> Speaking of DPOs and boot lid locks, how the heck did so many of them
> manage to break the rotating cover off? I'd love to replace
> the housing
> on mine, but as you said, nobody seems to have the covered ones.

It wasn't so much of breaking the cover off, as it was of a poor design
by the lock manufacturer. The cover was held on by a pin through the
body. Then there was a spring and a small clip held the whole mess
together. I replaced my lock at least twice in the first year or so
that I owned the car (1975-6) because the clip fell off. The last time,
I soldered the clip to the pin. It has stayed there for 24 years now.
If they had done that at the factory... Well, they would have sold fewer
locks. I guess by that standard it wasn't a design flaw.

Doug Mitchell
mailto:dmitchel@ismi.net
mailto:dmitchel@ford.com
'73 Spitfire 1500