Re: weber dvg carburetor for 78 spit

To: DTait44495@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: weber dvg carburetor for 78 spit
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 13:49:35 -0500
At 12:16 PM 02/05/00 EST, DTait44495@aol.com wrote:

>Looking over the Victoria British Winter Special catalog, I see that they
>have a entire Weber DVG carburetor kit, hardware, air filter and intake
>manifold for sale, at a price that has me asking myself is this a cure to my
>overly rich running single Stromberg that I have had no luck in leaning out
>over the past four years that I've owned it and two rebuilds later.

Boy, Dave, you are tolerant!

Yes it's a cure.   But it may be cheaper to buy a good Stromberg.  I did,
for $50 plus the price of another rebuild kit (which, like you, I was
pretty good at by then!).

>And oh yes terrible mileage and the ever
>present cloud of black smoke and discolored chrome on the rear bumper.

Yup, sounds as if the needle jet-hole is worn. My mileage went from 20 MPG
to over thirty with the replacement carb.

>So, I ask the collective wisdom of the group will DGV offered, free me from
>the above ailments described?

That's a fact.  But, you will have to have it jetted properly. Unless you
are prepared to buy a lot of unneeded jets, this is best left to a repair
shop that has a lot of them on hand, as good setup is dependant on your
particular engine/exhaust condition.

After the setup, the Weber will require less fiddling than the Stromberg.

>And if so, what of the three offered models of chokes, manual, electric, or
>water which is what my Spit had until I disconnected it and put in a manual
>choke, is the best choice?

I don't mind manual chokes, but otherwise I would go electric.

>If the electric model is strongly suggested,
>where and how do you get power to it.

With a wire [  :->  ]

Seriously, on other cars (not Spits) I have used a test light to find a
source that is 'live' when the ignition is on.

Good luck on whatever path you choose.

 Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (still with ZS Carb)
Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal the
neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it."