Re: Floorpan repair

To: "Michael Nugent" <nugentmd@gte.net>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floorpan repair
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 01:07:15 -0400
Mike,

I just finished a couple of welding classes at our local vocational school
after work.  From what I've learned at school and from an Eastwood video on
auto body welding, I would attach the patch from above.  First, however,
make sure you've removed all paint,etc. from the areas to be welded.  You
can further protect from rust by spraying on a zinc coating made for this
(sold by Eastwood).  After welding from below using a series of short 1/2
inch lengths of bead every 6 inches or so and repeating till all open seams
are welded, go to the top side and do the same.  That way you have totally
protected the weld from rain water below and wet carpets above.  The zinc
coating gives added protection.

Good luck,

Mike
'66 Spitfire Mk2
'68 Spitfire Mk3 (soon to be a GT6 convertible)
'69 GT6+ (parts car)
'70 GT6+