Re: GL5 project setback

To: "dayton carpenter" <djcarpen@hotmail.com>, jjcon2@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: GL5 project setback
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:19:30 -0400
I find it hard to believe that GL5 gear oil would kill
a transmission or rear end in a relatively short amount
of time.  This thread made me realize that my transmission
and rear end have been sitting around with GL5 in them
for the last 9 years- and they still work fine.

Ironically, if you go to page 62 of the Rimmer Bros Spitfire
catalog, there is a picture of a bottle of the Unipart
gear oil they sell.  It clearly says "GL-5" of the label.

I bet at least 50% of all Spits have GL-5 in their transmissions.

All that said, I have been looking for an excuse to drain and
refill my transmission.  I realized that I could make a few
mouse clicks and order a couple of quarts of Redline MT-90
and pay $6.00 shipping, or I could waste a couple of hours
of time driving to parts stores looking for one that
actually carries a GL-4 oil.  Does anyone think it is a bad idea
to put MT-90 in an overdrive Spit?

Doug Braun
'72 Spit